RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 22:40:51 EET

> Pff, nothing would change, if alsa is in the kernel? I don't see why
> this should suddenly make things easier? I don't see the necessity
> to put in into the kernel, if it installs nicely from a different
> directory. Compiling the alsa modules for the drivers and installing
> it with "make install" does work quite easily. Debian even ships
> alsa packages with precompiled drivers for the kernel. Installation
> of alsa-lib afterwards is the problem. The users asks himself, how to
> setup the modules for the init script, what the heck happends in
> asound.state, how do I write my own configuration files. And what
> can I do with all those hw, plughw, share, multi, whatever plugins.
> And I have to admit, I'd like to read about that, too, cause I have no
> clue and I actually have better things to do right now than reading
> the alsa source. Anyway I learnt how to setup a device, configure it
> and happily read/write to it. But until know I haven't seen what else
> ALSA can do, that would make it really different from oss. Apart from
> the possibility to use smaller framesizes, but that's possible with
oss
> too, in case the driver supports smaller framesizes.

I think you are missing the point of my reply. It was referring to the
install woes of the average user that the original post talked about.
All of the advanced features should be doable within the audio app's
code without any user's intervention. As for the rest of the features
you are mentioning -- yes, the world will be a better place once the
alsa docs improve... :-)

> You're probably happy with ALSA on Linux/i386. What about Linux on
other
> architectures..

I am using i386 architecture and yes, I am very happy with it. If you
are using different architecture, get Alsa's source code (once it
reaches 1.0 version), and port it -- it's open source, so no one is
preventing you from doing it. Not only do I see no point in doing this
work for you, but also am I completely unable to do so: I do not have
your platform lying around to code on it, so how do you expect me to
port it to your architecture in the first place?

On top of that, major distributors are moving into a position to do this
for you (i.e. Mandrake is now releasing, albeit with a small delay,
their distros for PPC platform).

Ico