Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannotunderstand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannotunderstand why...)
From: Lamar Owen (lamar.owen_AT_wgcr.org)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 06:28:14 EET

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 11:14 am, David Gerard Matthews Jr. wrote:
> dave willis wrote:
> > ??? dats are 48000, and cds are 44100. doesn't some sort of resampling
> > need to occur here?

> Every pro DAT I've ever used has had the option to run at 44100, an
> option I always to take advantage of to avoid resampling or multiple
> D/A/D conversions. (BTW, unless you've got really good resampling
> software/hardware, a D/A/D convsersion will often sound better than a
> resample.)

Amen.

Been there; done that; have no desire to do it again. Resampled 48khz to
44.1 khz sounds worse to my ears than the D/A->A/D converted signal.

But, I have always used Panasonic SV3700's, which work very well for 44.1khz
rates. I currently am able to do S/PDIF with an older SV3200 chassis (and an
SV3700 transport in it -- reverse of my normal!) into my Layla. Too bad Echo
has been brain-dead about Linux drivers.

I always run the sample clocks at an integer multiple of 44.1khz. IMHO, 88.2
sounds better than 96, if the result is going on Red Book CD. Run an
analysis...... :-)

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio