RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 22:06:00 EET

> care != contribute

According to the English dictionary, you are right. But analyzing a
"brick" out of the "buiding" perspective is what gets you in trouble: if
you were more sensitive to the context and realized that this discussion
is being held in the Linux audio DEVELOPMENT list, it would be easy then
to assume that both you and I ARE contributing to the Linux community by
developing/coding. So, if you don't have anything better then providing
a thesaurus to this list, please either use LAU list, or start using
that free time churning code (or even better providing ports to all of
your alternative OS's that you so dearly care for).

> BTW2 I mostly use intel pc, I care for other platforms for reason
hinted
> above...

Well then you surely have a lot to care for. Good luck!

Designing a well implemented driver/app is one thing, while porting it
is other, and as such they should be held separate. Design should always
take precedence, obviously, while porting should be a project of the
benefactor [at least in the non-paying world], not of provider, and as
such, again should be separate. Thus, not "caring" for the porting part
of the endeavors simply means that this should not be my priority or
something I need to worry about. People who ported first audio apps to
Linux (i.e. Mxv), were simply persons who HAD some interest in Linux and
thus did so, regardless of OSS. Case and point: RT which is originally
Paul Lansky's creation that ran on SGI and had nothing to do with OSS
since SGI's audio architecture is/was way better than the OSS's -- its
port was done by both Mike Peterson and Doug Scott, people who actually
cared about/used Linux and worked out their own ways of porting it to
Linux architecture using whatever they had at their disposal in terms of
audio API). Paul Lansky, according to your messed-up view, should be
then proclaimed "selfish" [or whatever that means for you] for not
providing ported app to the Linux OS [both architectures are *nix, after
all, right? -- even more so nowadays, since SGI is switching/ has
already switched to Linux]...

Quite on the contrary, my friend, Paul Lansky provided a great tool that
is still being used nowadays (and should be under no circumstances
called selfish for doing so), and thanks to Mike and Doug are we able to
enjoy the same app on our favorite OS.

Since you are so well versed in the usage of your thesaurus, next time
be more careful in the usage of the words within the given context...

Ico