Re: [linux-audio-dev] Introducing DMIDI

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Introducing DMIDI
From: martijn sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 17:07:10 EET

> The AMT8 have a similar system to reduce the timing errors. In fact the
> sequencer device in the midi windows API does have a similar scheme: you
> send blocks of data in which every midi message is time stamped. I imagine
> the driver does the clock translation for you.

Emagic would not give me the details on their AMT protocol, but as far as I
know it does not work with timestamps. MIDI events are send ahead of time
to the interface. When such an event(s) buffered in the interface need to be
actually transmitted, a message is sent to the interface. This protocol
enables
events to be transmitted on all ports simultaneously, given they are known
ahead of time.

The windows API using timestamps doesn't allow the use of LTB or AMT
using this API, since the driver interface does not use timestamps. That is
why I would like to have a driver interface for Linux that does use
timestamps.

--martijn