Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Sync Woes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Sync Woes
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 17:55:53 EET

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> Karl writes:
>
> >Another option is to use select on null file descriptors. The nanosleep
> >man page mentions that on intel the minimum sleep is 10ms or if the
> >process SCHED_FIFO and the pause is less that 2ms it will busy wait (which
> >is not what you want of course). Paul's suggestion will give you better
> >resolution at the cost of portability (which you may or may not care
> >about). The select trick should, I think, give you better than 10ms
> >though I don't have numbers to prove this.
>
> select, poll and sleep all use the same basic kernel mechanism for
> timing/queing/blocking. last time i looked, there was a single code
> path for this stuff, and no way to improve on it.

You know, as I was sending that I wondered if that was the case. Thanks
for the correction. So the only two options are the RTC and syncing to
the audio output?

Karl

> --p

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Computer Music Department |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| www.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac |