Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Sync Woes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Sync Woes
From: Billy Biggs (bbiggs_AT_DIV8.NET)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 23:28:43 EET

  Thanks alot for all your helpful code and comments.

> the ALSA sequencer can use the RTC as a timer source as well, but you
> need a patch to the RTC driver for that. without the RTC, the
> sequencer's timing resolution is as bad as the kernel timer (10ms).

  As I found out, even a simple sequence at 140bpm sounds horrendous if
you use a 10ms interrupt. Does this mean that people only use MIDI on
machines with a working RTC?

> i am not certain, but i think ALSA has drivers for all the devices you
> mention above. that said, i don't personally recommend the use of any
> kernel sequencer, even the ALSA one.

  I'm definitely sticking to this method for now, although I really hate
to require that my app run as root.

  Thanks again,

--
Billy Biggs                     bbiggs_AT_dumbterm.net
http://www.billybiggs.com/      wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca