Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Sync Woes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Sync Woes
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 01:30:34 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

>i also quote, more appropriately about the clock message (0xf8):
>
> Clock based MIDI systems are synchronized with this message
> which is sent at a rate of 24 per quarter note. if timing clocks (f8h)
> are sent during idle time they should be sent at the current tempo
> of the transmitter even while it is not playing. receivers which are
> slaved to incoming real time messages (MIDI sync mode) can thus
> phase lock their internal clocks while waiting for a Start (fah) or
> Continue (fbh) command.
>
>hope this helps to convey some of the MMA's intentions were.

indeed it does, and it explains the behaviour of the instruments i have,
plus it relieves me of writing something that could faithfully only be
described as a hack.

it also means that implementing a sync master involves responsibility for
emitting 0xf8 when you're not playing. i hadn't thought of this, but
overall it is a much better design.

MTC sync is still further down the road, but if there is something that
you think relates to the implementation of both forms of sync, i'd be
very thankful for any insights.

thanks for this one,

.tim