Re: [linux-audio-dev] RTC Rate on Slower Machines

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RTC Rate on Slower Machines
From: Billy Biggs (bbiggs_AT_DIV8.NET)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 23:51:44 EET

David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net):

> > Do you think 1024hz is a more reasonable default, and then require
> > the user to have at least a decent pentium?
>
> Well, Windows doesn't deal with anything smaller than a ms, so (older)
> MIDI sequencers usually set a multimedia timer up at 1000 Hz or lower.
> Newer applications use the new buffered/timestamped MIDI API, but I
> doubt the internal Windows timing accuracy is any better than the old
> 1 ms. Not sure, though, but I never noticed any difference, except
> that the newer API slightly reduces the number of noticable MIDI
> latency peaks.

  Ok, so, I'll just default to 1024Hz.

  Thanks alot for your detailed analysis. I just want to make sure that
the notes get sent out ASAP, since by the time my code gets called,
we're already late. :)

--
Billy Biggs                     bbiggs_AT_dumbterm.net
http://www.billybiggs.com/      wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca