Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI spec status?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI spec status?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 13:22:23 EET

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 12:12:38PM +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> .Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > Other things I thought of were setting an environment variable (yuk), or
> > always loading from, say /tmp/sampleN.wav where n is a plugin parameter
> > (also yuk), or combinations of the two.
>
> I would vote for a config file. The config file could contain a whole
> bunch of wave files. When using the plugin you could choose between them
> with one of the parameters.
> If using a GUI approach and many plugs where instantiated at the same
> time it could easily become unbearable. For instance during loading of a
> song...

That isn't a bad idea, but you're still stuck with one config file per
system. I suppose I could allow the path of the config file to be
overridden with an environment variable.

I wasn't going to implicitly open the diaglogue, probably only when a
parameter was flipped, with the xml gui implmented it would be pretty easy
to make that intuative.

> Also I'm mildly sceptic to gui toolkit dependencies INSIDE of a plugin.
> Aren't GUI toolkits mutually exclusive? Atleast I don't think it's
> possible to link against both gtk and qt in the same program.... should
> that not also apply to plugins??

That was what I was worried about. I think I'l go for a config file as you
suggested for now, I can always add a dialogue later.

- Steve