Re: [linux-audio-dev] www.mathtools.net

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] www.mathtools.net
From: Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 18:01:50 EET

Hi,
today David Olofson wrote:

> (DON'T "reply all" on this, please, unless you really intend to!)
>
> http://www.mathtools.net

[..]

> Anyway, although I didn't appreciate that email (might just be me,
> but I don't like people linking to my sites without permission and
> then telling me to do stuff in return...), I have to say that there
> seems to be plenty of interesting links in one place!

Hm..I was only browsing the site for a few seconds, but then I noticed
something you could either call funny or ridiculous: Under the section
"Applications/DSP/Algorithms" I wanted to read a document about DFT stuff...
Clicked on that link, and a window opened which required me to register
with that site first. This would probably have been ok if they had prepared
that material themselves, but when I pointed the mouse at the link and looked
at the bottom of my browser, it showed the link I would be redirected to
after registration - which is at dspguide.com, a rather free site which
has the online version of an entire DSP book.

I'm not sure whether I have to laugh about so much naivity when doing HTML
coding, or be angry that they try to hide a link to a free site under a
registration page (even if they'll send you free newsletters after that -
those E-mail addresses might as well be used for spamming purposes).
Any, they're dead for me.

Still puzzled,
Frank