Fwd: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's

Subject: Fwd: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's
From: Robert Schrem (Robert.Schrem_AT_WiredMinds.de)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 20:11:33 EET

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:10:49 +0100
From: Robert Schrem <roberts_AT_pc-robert>
To: rob <rob_AT_kaybee.org>

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 19:32, you wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Richard C. Burnett wrote:
> > I agree with robby in not understanding the benefit of computing min
> > values, The top bottom is probably going to be pretty symetric for all
> > purposes, so you could just mirror it.
>
> for low zoom values (looking at alot of data in a single window),
> the data is mostly symmetrical (1pixel = 1024 frames, no DC offset),
> however looking at values around 1:64 it won't be generally (or even
> mostly). If i'm looking at 16bit PCM (+/- 32768) frame which has the
> following values 59 134 1515 23135 ... 24, where all values represented by
> the ... are between the two adjacent values, your represented signal won't
> be symmetrical about 0 even if it again has no DC offset.
> This is pretty much the way a person using a tool like soundforge
> etc expects the wave data display to act, and i don't see much motivation
> to change that.

Not me. (Maybe it's just me :)

You are really shure that yuu don't see just some alising effects?

What kind of information do you gain from an envolpe view
with seperate min/max values for each set of samples that you can't
gain from a view just showing the absolute maxima for all samples?

At least I never felt any neccesarity for two seperate peak meters
showing the positive and negative peak values of the same signal
seperatly. Maybe you can you convince me, why I would need this an
for what purpose.