Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 22:27:23 EET

Hehe, well I wonder if PBD thought he would get this much discussion on
peakfiles. It seems to me from even this small sample of people that
everyone would like something a little bit different. Maybe some sort of
'waveform display' plugin would work nice. This way you can just select
or even create your own, just a thought.

Rick

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Paul Kellett wrote:

> Richard C. Burnett <burnett_AT_tality.com> wrote:
> >
> > I agree with robby in not understanding the benefit of computing min
> > values, The top bottom is probably going to be pretty symetric for all
> > purposes, so you could just mirror it.
>

> Speech waveforms in particular can be very asymmetric, so if you want
> the peakfile display to look the same as the zoomed-out waveform you
> need + and - peaks.
>
> But other types of envelope display can be useful too - a log amplitude
> scale is great for editing as you can see changes in the noise floor
> and other events too quiet to show up on a linear display.
>

> Paul
>
> -----------------------------
> m a x i m | digital audio
> http://www.maxim.abel.co.uk