[linux-audio-dev] Re: [ardour-dev] saving plugin state

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [ardour-dev] saving plugin state
From: Taybin Rutkin (trutkin_AT_black.clarku.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 20:23:37 EET

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> right, and even in ardour, it will soon be possible to use stereo
> plugins "correctly". you need to think of a set of plugins' state as a
> network, not a chain.
>
> <plugin name="Really neat plugin v1.3">
> <port name="length" value="13.456">
> <port name="depth" value="13.456">
> <port name="breadth" value="13.456">
> </plugin>

Much better. Much more concise.

Where would the preset name go? In some tag at the top?

> its not clear to me whether you need to save both sides of a
> connection (e.g. plugA:foo -> plugB:bar as well as plugB:bar -> plugA:foo).

I think that since the connection is one way, you would only need to save
one side. The connection is one way right?

> i also don't know how to identify the ports that the host needs to
> connect input and output to when the network is loaded.
>
> something like that. how does that seem ?

I'm still not sure what you want me to do. As far as I can tell, all it
needs is a parser and then it needs to be hooked into Ardour. Writing the
parser should be easy, there must be a YACC of some kind for DTDs. Or did
you want an engine which used the parser and spits out a pointer to a
plugin network?

> ps. the ladspa docs say give guidance on what should and should not
> be used to unambigously identify plugins. its definitely not the
> "name" field of the plugin descriptor.

Each plugin is given a unique number. It's handed down by the LADSPA
cabal, I think.

Taybin Rutkin -- trutkin_AT_black.clarku.edu

--
Creativity can only be anarchic, capitalist, Darwinian
	-- Umberto Eco