video drivers hog pci bus ? [was:[linux-audio-dev] low-latency scheduling patch for 2.4.0]

Subject: video drivers hog pci bus ? [was:[linux-audio-dev] low-latency scheduling patch for 2.4.0]
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 20:11:33 EET

[alsa folks, i'd appreciate a comment on this thread from
linux-audio-dev]

hello everyone !

in a post related to his latest low-latency patch, andrew morton
gave a pointer to
http://www.zefiro.com/vgakills.txt , which addresses the problem of
dropped samples due to agressive video drivers hogging the pci bus
with retry attempts to optimize benchmark results while producing a
"zipper" noise, e.g. when moving windows around with the mouse while
playing a soundfile.
some may have tried fiddling with the "pci retry" option in the
XF86Config (see the linux audio quality howto by paul winkler at
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/quality for details).

i recall some people having reported mysterious l/r swaps w/ alsa
drivers on some cards, and iirc, most of these reports were not
easily reproduced and explained.
the zefiro paper states that the zefiro cards would swap channels
occasionally under the circumstances mentioned. it sounds probable
to me that all drivers using interleaved data would suffer from this
problem.

can some more experienced people comment on this ?
is my assumption correct that the bus hogging behaviour is affected
by the pci_retry option ?

btw: the text only mentions pci video cards. will agp cards also
clog the pci bus ?

please give some detail in your answers - i would like to include
this in the linux-audio-dev faq and resources pages. (so chances are
you will only have to answer this once :)

sorry if this has been dealt with before, i seem to have trouble to
follow all my mailing lists...

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany