[linux-audio-dev] framebuffer devices

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] framebuffer devices
From: Andrew Morton (andrewm_AT_uow.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 14:15:33 EET

How serious an issue is the latency introduced by fbdevs?

I've taken a look at what's going on in there and it seems
that it's fairly straightforward to fix (*). It definitely
_needs_ fixing - it's putrid.

The one drawback of the approach I'm thinking about is that
kernel printk's from interrupt context wouldn't appear
on the console (but they would make it to the logfile). Or
maybe they will, but delayed a bit.

Question is: is this worth the effort, or are people
OK with just running X or vgacon all the time?

Thanks.

(*) Easy to fix for Voodoo 3, TNT2 and G200. That's
all I have :)