Re: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency scheduling patch for 2.4.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency scheduling patch for 2.4.0
From: yodaiken_AT_fsmlabs.com
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 02:05:27 EET

Let me just point out that Nigel (I think) has previously stated that
the purpose of this approach is to bring the stunning success of
IRIX style "RT" to Linux. Since some of us believe that IRIX is a virtual
handbook of OS errors, it really comes down to a design style. I think
that simplicity and "does the main job well" wins every time over
"really cool algorithms" and "does everything badly". Others
disagree.

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 12:30:46AM +1100, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Nigel Gamble wrote:
> >
> > Spinlocks should not be held for lots of time. This adversely affects
> > SMP scalability as well as latency. That's why MontaVista's kernel
> > preemption patch uses sleeping mutex locks instead of spinlocks for the
> > long held locks.
>
> Nigel,
>
> what worries me about this is the Apache-flock-serialisation saga.
>
> Back in -test8, kumon_AT_fujitsu demonstrated that changing this:
>
> lock_kernel()
> down(sem)
> <stuff>
> up(sem)
> unlock_kernel()
>
> into this:
>
> down(sem)
> <stuff>
> up(sem)
>
> had the effect of *decreasing* Apache's maximum connection rate
> on an 8-way from ~5,000 connections/sec to ~2,000 conn/sec.
>
> That's downright scary.
>
> Obviously, <stuff> was very quick, and the CPUs were passing through
> this section at a great rate.
>
> How can we be sure that converting spinlocks to semaphores
> won't do the same thing? Perhaps for workloads which we
> aren't testing?
>
> So this needs to be done with caution.
>
> As davem points out, now we know where the problems are
> occurring, a good next step is to redesign some of those
> parts of the VM and buffercache. I don't think this will
> be too hard, but they have to *want* to change :)
>
> Some of those algorithms are approximately O(N^2), for huge
> values of N.
>

> -
> -
> the body of a message to majordomo_AT_vger.kernel.org

Victor Yodaiken
Finite State Machine Labs: The RTLinux Company.
 www.fsmlabs.com  www.rtlinux.com