Re: [linux-audio-dev] rules on OSS drivers providing /dev/audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] rules on OSS drivers providing /dev/audio
From: Thomas Sailer (sailer_AT_ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 10:03:59 EET

Iain Sandoe wrote:

> It is not clear to me from the guide whether:
>
> (a) I *must* supply /dev/audio (at whatever rates/sizes the hardware
> supports - i.e. a clone of /dev/dsp) ?

> (c) I'm obliged to emulate 8 bit, ulaw, 8K whether I like it or not?

Most PCI soundcards do not have Alaw or ulaw hardware, and the OSS drivers
do not support these formats.

There were not too many complaints about this, the only two complaints were:

- cat somefile.au > /dev/audio produces noise - use sox or some other audio tool
  to play .au files

- speakfreely does not work - easy to fix, as speakfreely wants linear samples
  anyway

Tom