RE: [linux-audio-dev] present state of affairs with streaming fra meworks

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] present state of affairs with streaming fra meworks
From: Steve Baker (sbaker_AT_chello.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 12:28:00 EEST

> How is LADSPA support coming along in
> GStreamer?

Its firming up. Any LADSPA plugin with an equal number of inputs and
outputs should now work. I need to do more to get unusual plugins to work
and to optimise for common cases.

> How does an application know what 'knobs' a plugin has?

Currently ladspa control ports are mapped to GObject args so you can
introspect on what is available.

> re: my last email
>
> never mind, you would use g_object_set_args() or the gst wrappers

At the moment yes. I am also working on a seperate DynamicParams api which
will provide more multimedia-specific parameter behaviour than GObject args
can provide. In short it will provide the following:
- pluggable param types (probably based on GType)
- pluggable interpolators to create time-aware envelopes
- pluggable units-of-measurement (and unit converters)
- parameter update frequencies which can be non-constant and completely
independant of buffer frequency (this is optional and possibly not desired
for real-time)

> the gstreamer framework looks *really* nice. I think I will switch my
> app to it, maybe in a month or two, but I have to hammer
> things out with
> my codeveloper. hmmm... thanks for your post, it was most helpful...

Thats good to hear!

cheers