Re: [linux-audio-dev] Help: native ALSA 0.9b5 apps refuse to work, OSS apps work

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Help: native ALSA 0.9b5 apps refuse to work, OSS apps work
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 09:04:53 EEST

Benno Senoner wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 July 2001 19:11, Paul Davis wrote:
> > >So what do you suggest Paul ?
> > >
> > >Is my problem normal ?
> > >(I can't even run alsactl store, while apps in OSS emulation mode work
> > >perfectly)
> >
> > if you have one soundcard, then ALSA should work out-of-the-box, so to
> > speak.
> >
> > you only need a .asoundrc file if (for example):
> >
> > 1) you want to use specific names for your cards, OR
> > 2) you want to use alsa-lib's ability to create "fake" PCM devices
> > with various specific characteristics
> >
> > i didn't see the error you posted, so i am not sure where your error
> > might be arising from.
>
> This was my original posting:
>
> http://eca.cx/lad/2001/Jul/0072.html
>
> keep in mind that besides the SBLive the box has a hammerfall in it too.
> But this was just fine at least on older ALSA versions.
> (as long as you don't modprobe snd-card-rme9652 ALSA does not see it).
>
> For example if I call
> alsactl store
>
> I get:
> ALSA lib control.c:525:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
> alsactl: get_controls:430: snd_ctl_open error: No such file or directory
>
> Interesting that if I modprobe snd-card-rme9652 (as snd-card-1)
>
> I can do
> alsactl store 1
> and get the same error:
>
> ALSA lib control.c:525:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:1
> alsactl: get_controls:430: snd_ctl_open error: No such file or directory
>
> if I do alsactl store 2
> I get:
> alsactl: save_state:964: Cannot find soundcard '2'...
>
> This means that alsactl sees the two cards but it cannot access them properly.
>
> If I run aplay -l I get a neverending loop of errors:
>
> [root_AT_smp alsa-utils-0.9.0beta5]# /usr/bin/aplay -l
> ALSA lib control.c:525:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
> aplay: device_list:194: control open (0): No such file or directory
> ALSA lib control.c:525:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
> aplay: device_list:194: control open (0): No such file or directory
> ALSA lib control.c:525:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
> (.......)
>
> I checked all the libs and utils and deleted old ones before installing the
> 0.9b5 ones.
>
> reynald wrote:
> > I had a problem similar to yours. it turned out that I had some of the
> > files from the old version lying around. make sure everything gets
> > deleted, especially from /etc/, lib and share, and try again.
>
> Well I did this: I deleted every old alsa.conf files in /etc
> deleted /usr/lib/libasound*
> and the /usr/share/alsa path
> and reinstalled alsa driver, lib and utils
>
> still no luck.

You have not installed alsa.conf. There was a bug I fixed some time ago
pointed to me by Paul. I don't remember if 0.9b5 contains the fix or
not.

Please use current CVS.

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!