Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA, Muse, alsa-seq, emu10k ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA, Muse, alsa-seq, emu10k ...
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 15:37:53 EEST

Benno Senoner wrote:

> A related question: actually I do not have any external MIDI soundgenerating
> module (expander, keyboard) here, but I have the SB Live and would like to
> compare the behaviour of the sampler to a real midi soundgenerating module.

I own outboard gear and an SBLive. I'm not sure the comparison is apt,
though I do ilke the EMU10K1 synth.

> Can anyone give me a tip how to make the emu10k1 MIDI sounddevice work ?
> Do I need to load some soundfont (general midi) that comes with the CD of the
> SBLive ?

Yes, you do. I do so by utilizing the sfxload utility:

        sfxload /home/dlphilp/sfonts/8mbgmsfx.sf2

I think it comes from Takashi's site (?). The SF2 package came from the
SBLive CD (I think).

> I have no idea how soundfonts work under ALSA on the SBLive.
> Josh Green would probably be able to help me, but he told me that he will not
> be back before the end of August.
>
> Any hints or pointers to docs that explain the soundfont stuff ?

Josh's site includes an excellent intro to soundfonts:

        http://smurf.sourceforge.net/sfont_intro.php

The HammerSound collection is very good:

        http://www.hammersound.net/

Peter Hanappe's iiwusynth utilizes a soundfont-playing engine:

        http://www.hanappe.com/iiwusynth.html

And of course Csound also contains code for handling Soundfonts.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net

Currently listening to: Kronos Quartet, "Adagio" (Samuel Barber)