[linux-audio-dev] Laaga "default" audio I/O hooks

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Laaga "default" audio I/O hooks
From: Jarno Seppanen (jams_AT_cs.tut.fi)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 09:24:00 EEST

Hi,

in the current Laaga snapshot, as written by Paul, there are example clients
connecting to the Laaga audio driver using port names like "ALSA I/O:Input 1"
and "ALSA I/O:Output 1". Now that makes me wonder what if an OSS driver for
Laaga gets written?

AFAIK, all clients would be making some connections at startup, regardless of
whether there's an app for re-wiring Laaga clients at will. These default
connections would most definitely be to the Laaga system audio driver input
and output ports, associated with the soundcard. I was thinking that perhaps
the soundcard interface ports need to be represented with a default name that
doesn't change, such as "audio I/O:Input 1" or something, so that applications
can connect regardless of the Laaga driver.

Moreover, I was thinking that it could be useful to allow clients to take
over, or hook into these default ports. What I mean is that, for example,
when a client is run that acts as a crossover filter for your subwoofer,
filtering a stereo input to stereo HPF and a mono LPF outputs, the client
could grab your system default audio outputs, wire them to its inputs, and
wire its three outputs to the soundcard input ports. Any subsequent clients
trying to connect to the default audio outputs would correctly (and
transparently) be connected to the crossover filter client.

A second kind of client that would like to hook to default audio I/O ports
might be a network audio client, or would that be better served with a Laaga
driver?

Opinions?

--
-Jarno