Re: [linux-audio-dev] packaging

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] packaging
From: Kevin Conder (kconder_AT_interaccess.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 04:54:11 EEST

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> so, no, i don't need help packaging. i need help to convince people to
> (1) stop using packages and (2) to avoid RH7.X and (3) to convince
> package maintainers to *never* distribute modified versions of source
> available as a tarball.

        Can anyone name for me a widely-used Open Source application that
(1) is only available from CVS and (2) requires compiliation of all of its
supporting libraries from scratch?

> building Ardour is "simple" if your definition of "simple" includes:
.
.
*snip* an arduous process
.
.
> personally, i wouldn't call that "simple", and i also don't see any
> easy way to make it so.

        Maybe we should rename "Ardour" to "Arduous". ;-)= Just kidding.

        Ardour isn't the first Open Source application to use external
libraries. Look at some other Open Source projects. What do they do?

=== Kevin Conder, http://KevinDumpsCore.com