Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] what's wrong with glame
From: Richard Dobson (RWD_AT_cableinet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 04:15:24 EEST

Inveterate Windows-avoiders may not know this, but Win2k does this for
the applications on the Start menu. This can carry a potentially huge
number of applications (I've seen examples where the full top-level menu
filled two columns); Windows gradually learns what the most-used
programs are, and presents a condensed menu with just those visible
(there is of course an arrow item to open up the full menu). It's a, um,
start - submenus are still submenus, and ~eventually~ the adept user
discovers there are ways of rearranging everything. But unless it occurs
to you that it might be reconfigurable (and there is no reason it should
unless someone, or the program tells you!), you will never think to hunt
the facility down.

The modern customisable toolbar is another attempt to provide this
functionality, but it still represents a chicken and egg situation to
the user.

So, yes, there is a real ~design~ job to be pursued here - a dynamically
reconfigurable menu, that learns from the user, but that still presents
a predictable enough structure so that things don't suddenly move to
unexpected places.

We are perhaps moving towards the era of the intelligent Agent, wher the
program answers Howto questions from the user, and reconfigures itself
according to the tasks the user most want to perform. Microsoft added a
'Answer Wizard' feature to Word (under the Help menu) where you type in
a sentence such as "How do I format into two columns?", and it will
parse the question and, with luck, take to to a suitable help message.

Richard Dobson

--
Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrwd (LU: 3rd July 2000)