[linux-audio-dev] Re:User Interface -> An idea about presets for ladspa plugins

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re:User Interface -> An idea about presets for ladspa plugins
From: Linium (intent_AT_club-internet.fr)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 17:21:38 EEST

Le Fri, 27 Jul 2001, vous avez écrit :

> Yup, that seems to be a part audacity needs to be extended - ladspa
> support is quite important these days.

Hello, I would like to take the occasion to talk about something I feel is
needed.

One cruel thing is that there is no inter-applications presets system for the
ladspa plugins.

Presets are quite usefull for all sort of reasons:
-They are nice starting points for further tweakings.
-It's immediate, you don't want to adjust all the parameters each time you use
a plugin.
-You can capitalize the good settings.
-Users can share them.
-etc..

At one point you will want to use a preset found in one application in
another one. Helas, this not possible at the moment.

So, what about saying that now:

1) There is the dir: $LADSPA_PATH/presets/

2) It contains dirs named from the unique ID number of the ladpsa plugin.
ex: $LADSPA_PATH/presets/1214/ for the state variable filter of Steve Harris.

3) Each of theses ID-dirs contains textfiles which are the presets.
One textfile for each preset.

4) A preset-textfile has the name given at its creation, for instance when the
settings of a plugin are stored as a new preset . It is under this name the
presets are visible in all the applications adopting this convention.

Concerning the preset-textfile : a simple file listing the init values for each
control ports. (Does it makes sense to have init value for some
signal inputs ?).

Well, something like that...

Linium