Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] modifiers was - what's wrong with glame

Subject: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] modifiers was - what's wrong with glame
From: Rick Burnett (destinytech_AT_spacey.net)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 05:19:27 EEST

I like the idea of completely remapable hot-keys. My example because
of a lack of any better would be quake/unreal/tribes, all of which
have remapable keys. If you ever watch people who play these games
(as I do) you will see an incredible amount of diversity in
keystrokes. I watch some people and I am like DAMN that looks
uncomfortable. Yes it does add some extra effort into the program,
but trying to standardize a 'set' could be even worse. If any of you
remember the 'edit' program in Windows 3.1 that required Shift-Ins and
stuff like that to insert text, WHAT A PAIN! I myself prefer the
control key, because the problem with ALT on my split keyboard is keys
like Alt-B Alt-G and Alt-T are difficult hand positions. I do have
larger hands so my pinky is at the control key anyways all the time.

I also disagree that great effort should have to be put into using the
UI, thats why I refuse to use emacs and framemaker period, they are
not intuitive to me and I am perfectly happy with VIM. I say you
start with a general 'typical feel' that you feel beginners would
like, then make the keystrokes customizable, even button placement.
Things like word/visualC++ have been doing this for years and I use
them. I put things where I want for quick usage and I don't rearrange
menus. Paul has objected to icons in ardour and I fully see why, BUT,
you could always have an icon based quick bar for people to associate
their own pictures with functions.

Just my thoughts :)

Rick