Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cross application ladspa settings

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cross application ladspa settings
From: Stefan Westerfeld (stefan_AT_space.twc.de)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 20:15:05 EEST

   Hi!

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 04:11:22PM +0200, Linium wrote:
> Le Sat, 28 Jul 2001, vous avez écrit :
> > On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> >
> > > It's important to also save mulitple plugins. Save the order of a chain.
> > > And some programs also support networks where the plugin's aren't
> > > necessarily connected in a linear a->b->c manner. Maybe
> > > $LADSPA_PATH/networks/?
> >
> > This might not be practical because this would be so application specific.
> > Networks would be more of a session dependent state. But I still like the
> > idea of saving settings for cross application use.
> >
> > Taybin
>
> Networks could be seen as big plugins. So it would depend how an application
> let the user use the existing networks. There could be some applications for
> designing them (alike glame) and other where the networks are just seen
> like others plugins (multitrack editors).
> For a multitrack recorder/editor like Ardour it is may be not that
> pertinent to let users designing networks given the fact that there is probably
> a lot of routing possibilities to exploit what would be available (mere ladspa
> plugins and our hypothetic networks) ?

Well, maybe it's better if the applications that support network design
themselves export their designed networks as new LADSPA plugins. For instance
I could imagine aRts (which with its own plugins supports connecting a graph
of plugins and declare it as new (big) plugin transparently) acting not only
as LADSPA host but also as LADSPA plugin provider. That way you could use
artsbuilder to connect ten LADSPA plugins to a new plugin, and export this
to LADSPA again.

The good thing about this is that applications (like ardour) would not even
need to know about this - for them, the artsbuilder designed LADSPA plugins
would look like normal LADSPA plugins.

   Cu... Stefan

--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan_AT_space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany