Re: [linux-audio-dev] Wrappers and LAAGA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Wrappers and LAAGA
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 16:05:35 EEST

>Yup (you knew it), I tried to write a simple command line app though could
>do linking eg:
>
>$ laaga_link list
>Foo:out 1 -> Ardour:Line 5
>$ laaga_link make "Foo:out 2" "Ardour:Line 6"
>$ laaga_link list
>Foo:out 1 -> Ardour:Line 5
>Foo:out 2 -> Ardour:Line 6
>
>Well, you get the jist. But, there didn;t seem to be a way of getting a
>list of conntections from the LAAGA server, or were you planning to make
>that a subset of laaga_get_ports?
>
>On the subject laaga_get_ports didn't seem to be implemnted in 0.2.2, if
>it isn't still done (I havn't looked at 0.2.3 yet) do you want me to have
>a go at at it?

I didn't implement it yet. A simple version is very easy - its just
a matter of iterating over the shared memory port list in the engine
control block.

There is a problem, however, in that this is not thread-safe - ports
could be registered or unregistered while you were iterating. Since
pthread locks cannot be shared across processes under linuxthreads,
this requires the use of some other IPC mechanism to "lock" the
"list", and I suspect that semaphores are the right answer.

Once again, I was really waiting to see if we could get a consensus on
the overall design before proceeding with that part.

--p