Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 14:03:48 EEST

In message <3B1F2884.4F08AA73_AT_alsa-project.org>you write:

>> >Hardly...
>> >
>> >Please try again.
>>
>> the application calls audioengine_open(), registers some ports, and
>> provides callbacks to handle data processing. what's missing?
>
>??? I guess that we're talking about design of different things, I think
>it's better I close my mouth and stay behind the window.

i don't want you to be behind the window.

what I'm talking about is an API that (correctly) removes interaction
with h/w from the work done by 95%+ of all audio applications. It
provides an abstraction for dealing with audio that massively
simplifies the work of the application *and* allows for
inter-application data sharing and cooperation. this is provided for
in a way that supports real-time low latency systems as well as more
traditional applications. fundamentally, its based on what some people
call a "pull" model but i prefer to call a "callback" mode.

what i presented was the API used by clients. thats all.

so, i ask again, what's missing?

--p