Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 14:05:15 EEST

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 06:27:13PM -0400, Rick Burnett wrote:
> I just don't see the point in creating an 'abstraction' in C. Maybe
> its just me, but the whole object scheme seems the logical way to do
> things ESPECIALLY for something like this. I used to dislike C++
> about four years ago, then I spent a great deal of time reading and
> understanding OOP, and now, I find that in a world where you are
> 'trying' to get component reuse, it helps in many ways. Easier to
> read code, easier organization, and very clear distinction of outside
> and inside methods. Is it that this API is to be so simple that an
> object representation is not necessary?

There are languages other than c++ and, generally speaking, its much
easier to use a c api than a c++ one if you want to use, say Java, to
write your code.

Just incase anyone thinks Java is a stupid example I did a test with gcj.
It's performance on dsp-type code is withing spitting distance of c++'s.

- Steve