Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 14:06:48 EEST

>> finally, because for input metering you need to be able to connect
>> an "input" to an "input", there is an inherent problem with any
>> system that ensures proper port polarity when connections are made.
>> output metering is obviously easy to do.

>Then, no, you've not read my message: to connect read flow on an input
>port if perfectly fine.

in my definition, an "input port" is a port that its owner will read from.
for non-integrated-into-the-port-owner metering, something other the owner
needs to read from the input port. this violates the very notion of
what an input port is: things that want to read data from an object
connect to its "output ports".

i don't understand a definition that allows non-owners to read from an
input port.

moreover, this addresses only 1 of 4 significant problems I mentioned.

--p