Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA proposal, part ??
From: Simon Per Soren Kagedal (simon_AT_cs.uoregon.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 02:08:31 EEST

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:05:15PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> Just incase anyone thinks Java is a stupid example I did a test with gcj.
> It's performance on dsp-type code is withing spitting distance of c++'s.

Hey, that's excellent! What about gcj's garbage collector? Is it
friendly to realtime stuff?

( Hmmm... Browsing the gcj web site, it appears that it by default
uses Hans Boehm's garbage collector:

http://reality.sgi.com/boehm/gc.html

A snip:

"The collector uses a mark-sweep algorithm. It provides incremental
and generational collection under operating systems which provide the
right kind of virtual memory support. (Currently this includes
SunOS[45], IRIX, OSF/1, Linux, Windows NT, and Windows 95, with
varying restrictions.)"

Incremental - good... )

Simon.