Re: [linux-audio-dev] snapshot of laaga implementation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] snapshot of laaga implementation
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 18:43:40 EEST

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Abramo Bagnara wrote:

> Paul Davis wrote:
> >
> > >- I suppose Unix sockets are more adeguate to shm/signal constraints
> >
> > why? as i've tried to explain, it seems to me that using fd's is a lot
> > more work with no apparent gain ... if the job can be done using
> > signals, whats the benefit of using fd's?
>
> However the only benefits I see for fd's are:
> - poll/select

Yes, this is the only reason I'd like to expose fds to the app somehow -
the alternative is to have async. operation inside the app, i.e. use
threads and blocking I/O (probably not a big problem, though).

> - read/write is probably faster (less cycles in kernel). I'm not sure
> however and I doubt the difference is relevant anyway.

signals are faster

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/