Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 11:20:33 EEST

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Rick Burnett wrote:

> I guess I do not understand *why* we would need some sort of generic
> property mechanism. If it was found out that additional properties
> were needed to be queried or changed in the future, you will still
> have to put in the appropriate 'glue' code between the audio engine
> and the audio drivers, right? So if this is the case, then there is
> no reason to have a generic mechanism for setting and controlling
> properties, my reasons being:

[lots of points deleted]

You want to mix apps with "different" properties. Just have the
properties identified by a string (which defines their type, too)
and have them point to a memory region. Keep a list of properties
at the originating port (if you go for my LAAGA approach, otherwise
stick it somewhere else). Any app can now query the properties it
knows and handle them, simply ignoring the others. No versioning
problem at all (just the problem of coosing unique identifiers).

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/