Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal
From: Jarno Seppanen (jams_AT_cs.tut.fi)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 08:20:11 EEST

Paul Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net> writes:

> When I route signals from a mixer
> strip on either a digital or analog mixer onto a bus, there is no
> additional "node" between the strip (which has gain control etc.) and
> the bus.
>
> Your model requires that either the bus be able to handle mixing
> (which is OK), or that the person uses an additional mixing node
> (which I don't think is OK).

The computer music program Pd (see www.pure-data.org) does 'implicit' mixing,
i.e., you can connect as many wires to one input port and the system will mix
the incoming signals for you. This is very good, as the Pd (and Max/jMax?)
users have known for ages. Thus I recommend not implementing a separate
'Mixer' or 'Adder' plugin client but letting the system mix it up!

--
-Jarno