Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 19:43:44 EEST

Richard Guenther wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > >Busses dont scale. You use Crossbars. Think of a mix node as of a
> > >crossbar.
> >
> > How does a bus not scale, and what's a crossbar?
>
> Crossbar is a graph - a bus is not a graph. A bus has collisions for
> more than 2 members, a crossbar allows for multiple active connections
> (if they are mutually exclusieve). But well, its probably off topic.
> I dont need a bus - you seem to be advocating "bus-and-nothing-else".

I get the feeling you guys are using different definitions of "bus".
I've taken Paul's use of bus to be like a mix bus on an audio mixing console,
which basically means: add all input signals and present the result at the
output. And since we're not talking about analog circuits here, it could be made
to work for *any* number of input signals. I don't know what you mean by
"collisions for more than 2 members".

Could you describe this "crossbar" idea a bit more, or provide a link to more
information? The term is new to me, and I don't understand from your description
how it works or what it's used for.

--PW