Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA API Proposal
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent_AT_ulyssis.org)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 00:04:38 EEST

Maybe we could nail the synchronous vs. asynchronous discussion down to
this:

Synchronous (blocking) programming techniques work perfectly for low to
medium loads and has the _lowest_ latency.

Asynchronous (non-blocking) programming techniques continue directly
after some calls and are notified when requested data is available /
more data can be sent (as a cause of that call) and then they have to
react. This _increases_ latency, but it makes the program also work
under abusively high loads, something the blocking programming style
will not be able to cope with.

So I think if we want *the lowest* latency, the way to go is blocking io ...
When we are aiming for <3 ms latencies, 5 ms latency penalties are not
acceptable.

It is a matter of priorities I gues ;)

Regards
Vincent

PS: I base myself on
http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a.htm ...
for this short reaction. (credit where credit is due + you get a nice
benchmark extra)