Re: [linux-audio-dev] latest audioengine snapshot (laaga proposal)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] latest audioengine snapshot (laaga proposal)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 13:29:10 EEST

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 09:58:57PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Yep, agreed it is more complicated, but, its less of a special case, and
> >it allows for multiple timebases cleanly. On the downside it makes it more
>
> we don't *want* to allow for more timebases cleanly, do we? isn't the
> whole point to have everything running in sync? if there are two apps
> that wish to cooperate, we could have "well know port names" for apps
> that publicize a timebase, but thats not the same as "the system
> timebase".

OK, well that matches what I was imagining, exept I wanted a System
Timebase "plugin" with a timebase output, e.g. a well known plugin with a
well known port. If its possible, whats to stop a plugin existing which
reads SMPTE sync from hardware and produces a timebase signal in the same
format as System Timebase, just seems a bit more useful. Its really not
important though.

> >I was imagining that the library would provide a timebase decoding
> >function, or that the buffer pased to process could just be a c
> >struct or whatever.
>
> i wouldn't want anything other than audio frame time at this level of
> the library, though i'm slightly partial to a "time since interrupt"
> value, which helps synchronize visual display when the interrupt
> interval from the h/w is long. other time specifications (SMTPE, MTC,
> etc.) are all to domain-specific and low resolution to be usefully
> defined inside of LAAGA. i think.

I don't understand the need for the time since interupt, but I'm
prepared to take your word for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by defined. I think that at some point we need
a standard data representation for things like that, otherwise it will be
a disaster. A MIDI data representation would probably do though.

- Steve