Re: [linux-audio-dev] Article about multithreading

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Article about multithreading
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent_AT_ulyssis.org)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 19:49:52 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> [cut] its hard for me to think of a situation in which it would make sense
> to pay the run-time cost rather than spend compile-time cost involving
> good programmer with a decent lock analysis tool (regretably,
> something linux doesn't have and solaris does) to figure out the
> deadlocks. and anyway, once you've done this stuff a half-dozen times,
> most deadlocks are easy to figure out.

Yes, your right. Of course.

There are some four conditions that have to
hold at the same time and if you take away
any of them, deadlock can be prevented.
[Deadlock prevention is indeed better than deadlock handling]

I can think of some right now:

1. circular dependency of resources needed by different processes
=> can be solved by imposing a fixed (total) order in which resource
   should be acquired
2. resources acquired by a process can never be released
=> solve by resource pre-emption (you have to be careful though)
3. ?
4. ?

But of course this is way of topic I guess.
On the other hand this is linux-audio_*dev* :)

Regards
Vincent