Re: [linux-audio-dev] best kernel for ll ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] best kernel for ll ?
From: Samuel S Chessman (chessman_AT_tux.org)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 16:33:51 EEST

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Dave Phillips wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I haven't been keeping up with the latest low-latency patches or the
> latest kernel tracks, but I'd like to upgrade my system again (got some
> new hardware). Does anyone have a suggested preferred 2.4.x kernel for
> low-latency (with AM's patch of course) ? Are there kernel numbers to
> avoid ?
>
> I've been using a 2.4.0-test9 kernel and figured it's about time to
> catch up with the pack... ;)

2.4.5 with the low-latency patch from Andrew Morton:
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/2.4.5-low-latency.patch.gz

If you are running reiserfs there is a patch for 2.4.5;
ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiserfs-for-2.4/linux-2.4.5-reiserfs-umount-fix.patch

Note that 2.4.6-pre2 has a patch but it doesn't work on -pre3. I expect to
see 2.4.6 soon, but the low-latency patch usually is a week behind.

With the 2.4 series kernels it is important to have plenty of swap space or
the VM system can wedge, totally destroying any low-latencty. I recommend
multiple swaps on different disk controllers if you are blessed with plentiful
IO channels. Even 2 swap partitions on two IDE masters can help.

Alan Cox says:
Linus 2.4.0 notes are quite clear that you need at least twice RAM of
swap with 2.4.

--
   Sam Chessman                                               chessman_AT_tux.org
        Disruptive technologies always appear to incumbents as toys.