Re: [linux-audio-dev] silent for a while

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] silent for a while
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 00:02:52 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

> I believe that ALSA's API is completely inappropriate for this task,
> because it doesn't use a callback approach. From what I know of aRts,
> its not possible, without drastic modifications to aRts, for it to
> satisfy low latency requirements because of some basic assumptions it
> makes.

I disagree.

> I would be quite happy, however, if something like LAAGA became part
> of alsa-lib.
>
> >next week or two. I do think we're better off abstracting away from
> >OSS/ALSA/aRts or suchlike but I'm not sure we're doing it the right way.
>
> I believe (as I've said several times) that OSS and ALSA are Hardware
> Abstraction Layers, and not anything close to a model of a generalized
> design for connecting multiple applications/plugins in a low latency
> system. They work well or even very well for applications that are
> interacting with audio h/w, but not, IMHO (and that of Abramo, too, I
> believe) for the purposes outlined by Kai for LAAGA.

No, it's not my opinion.

I think that the best solution would be the integration of ALSA with
LAAGA (with obvious mutual benefits). This likely means some changes to
ALSA API too.

This is the way I'll try to follow (stealing from this discussion
everything worths to lay hands on ;-)

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!