Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA vs ALSA ... silent for a while

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA vs ALSA ... silent for a while
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 02:30:46 EEST

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, you wrote:

> > I want LAAGA working on OSS/Free , OSS too.
> > That's one of the reasons why I do prefer keeping it separate.
>
> A backend for OSS is scheduled (although low priority).

That's not an option.
Many developers (including me) do not have the time to keep up with
the development version of ALSA.
This is why I prefer Paul Davis' approach: you can use the audio i/o API
you like without being tied to ALSA.
(I do agree with Vincent's last mail too)

> > Plus: Abramo can you tell us what kind of advantages an integration
> > of LAAGA into ALSA would bring us ?
>
> See the neverending thread on lad.

Please summarize the advantages in a few sentences.
(the old LAAGA threads are way too diluted, we want the juice please)

> > Keep in mind that #1 priority is that lowlatency must be assured at any cost.
> > It's very easy to screw up latencies.
> >
> > I think that if ALSA does "too much" without the user knowing what is doing is
> > dangerous in some ways. (but I could be wrong)
>
> You're ;-)

Prove it please.

The LAAGA API must IMHO be based on top of ALSA/OSS and not
integrated within.

Benno.

http://www.linuxaudiodev.org The Home of Linux Audio Development