[linux-audio-dev] PortAudio

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] PortAudio
From: Phil Burk (philburk_AT_softsynth.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 19:05:34 EEST

Hello,

> >I would like LAAGA to be a fast, lean, easy to use, higher
> >level (than the sound driver itself) API that _hides_ the
> >hardware interface completely from all clients that use it. It
>
> I want slightly more than that actually. I want it to hide (like the
> BeOS MediaKit and the Apple OS-X CoreAudio API) virtually all of the
> *concepts* associated with a hardware interface as well.

I thought I should point out the existence of an existing cross-platform
audio API that has been around for awhile. It has been adopted by many
computer music practitioners. Perhaps it will be useful to some. There is a
Linux/OSS port in beta. More details at:

   http://www.portaudio.com

Phil Burk
JSyn,pForth,DSP,ASIC - http://www.softsynth.com