[linux-audio-dev] LinuxTag 2001 Infomail #4

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LinuxTag 2001 Infomail #4
From: Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 20:48:42 EEST

Hi again,
here's the 4th infomail for the upcoming LinuxTag and our audio booth -

People
------

Unfortunately, Peter Surda cannot come to the fair, so there will be no
demos of his Jukebox project. However, at the same day Miha Tomsic
offered to help us as well, so he's also in the boat now.
Werner Schweer said he'll be there from Thursday noon to Saturday, which
I'm personally very happy about.

Hardware
--------
So far, my list of hardware that people will bring with them looks like
this:

- Me:
  PC, monitor, keyboard, amp, speakers, expander, mixer, microphone
- Jörn:
  PC, microphone, maybe some small parts (could bring more if someone
else gave him a lift, but that looks uncertain right now)
- Robert Schrem (I hope..):
  Monitor, speakers, ..
  The idea here would be that Jörn's and Robert's supplies sum up to a
complete demo station.
- Werner Schweer:
  Notebook, Korg NSR5 expander
- Glame folks (Alexander, Guenther..):
  Notebook

As far as I can tell, currently only one of the two demo stations comes
with a keyboard (mine). For the second station, it might be good to have
that as well. Anyone able to bring some kind of master keyboard or
similar? Robert, is there anything you could offer?

To those of you who are going to bring hardware, cables, hubs or
anything - please don't forget to mark your property with your initials,
a tag or anything else. Also, I'd recommend making backups, securing
your network (in case you want to get connected at the fair), setting
passwords etc. Last year the machine of the "Linux Community" which had
just started around those days was hacked by someone (rather easily,
though, because the admin had made some terrible installation mistake, I
think).

Insurance
---------
Yesterday I got the offer from the insurance company, but it does not
really make me happy :-(. I gave them an estimated value of about 20000
Deutschmarks for the equipment we have there (that figure should come
close, I hope), and their offer was to provide insurance for a total of
345,- DM for all 4 days,
including taxes. This is quite lot, and I don't know who is going to pay
for that. I won't pay it all by myself, maybe we should all donate some
$$..? Or, rather pray and see that nothing is damaged or stolen. By the
way, their insurance does _not_ include any damage caused by. e.g.
driving speakers too loud.

This is the point I'm most unhappy with at this point; I welcome any
suggestions on what to do here. Personally, I'm willing to pay some,
say, 50DM for the insurance, and if others would follow me there, we
could get this working.
While I was typing this, I got a mail that someone from the core
LinuxTag organizers' team might arrange something, so not all is lost
yet. Stay tuned.

Booth
-----
With one project less, there is a bit more space for the others, or also
some space for a small "chat" area. Joey had asked me last week to
quickly tell what supplies (desks, chairs etc) we need, and as I could
not have this discussed here, I instead drew a small Xfig drawing of how
the booth might be equipped. Please see the attached .fig file, and if
you believe there's something terribly wrong, let me know. However, the
order is already out by now, so I hope this will satisfy all who come...

What we should plan now is how to make the booth look a little nicer. I
had offered to print out the logo in large (size: something like .8m
wide and .4m high) which we can stick against one wall, but there's
still lots of wall space left to be decorated - any suggestions? We
could just nail lots of (old?) cables to the walls which would probably
make them look very technical-geeky :-). Be creative, please!

Sound
-----
As I had written in the previous infomail, a local music shop does not
(as I had hoped) offer to lend hardware for free. Instead, I could rent
a pair of good speakers + amp for about 100DM for the entire time. I'll
probably do so because I might want to buy that equipment afterwards
anyway (my current
"sound system" at home consists of Soundblaster active
speakers+subwoofer, and the frequency range has a rather gaping hole in
the middle range..). So, that's the sound for one demo station; as for
the second, I think I'd like to ask Robert Schrem if it's still ok with
him to lend us his near-field speakers - Robert, is that ok? We'll
probably also need an amp then, unless these are active speakers (which
I doubt they are).

Networking
----------
We will get Internet access (maybe direct, maybe through masquerading)
on the fair, but there will only be one cable at our booth. Alexander
Ehlert offered to bring a 4x100MBit hub. This should be enough, but if
someone could also bring a hub (oh, and network cables?), that would
probably be a good idea.

Getting there, 2nd edition
--------------------------
I have scanned in part of a map of Stuttgart and marked the important
areas - the fair location and the university with the gym hall. However,
I forgot to upload one image yesterday which I'll hopefully add tonight.
Still, if you need to find out how to get there, take a look at
http://lakai.sourceforge.net/lt/ .

There is a (german, unfortunately) text from the group of the university
that makes it possible for us to sleep at the gym hall. It details some
frequently asked questions&answers. Please take a look at
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/faveve/linuxtag/ . If an english translation
is required, I can do this, but I wouldn't mind if someone else stepped
forward here.

That's all for now,
Frank (who would sometimes welcome a little more feedback here..)

--
      Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com), VIONA Development Center
            ST Microelectronics, Karlstraße 27, 76133 Karlsruhe

audio_booth.fig