[linux-audio-dev] Re: alsamixer+ardour

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: alsamixer+ardour
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 17:28:53 EET

LADSPA support wasn't what I was referring to. The stuff I was
referring to was just my system for handling audio i/o to arbitrary
ALSA devices via mmap, and using a "per-channel" metaphor rather than
the usual interleaved model.

Adding LADSPA support will fill out the rest of your 2 months :)

Seriously though, its not that hard as far as the internals go to
support LADSPA - the hard part is building some kind of UI to allow
the processing chain to be configured.

You could, theoretically, rip out even more of Ardour to do what you
want; as usual, the app was intended to use an MVC architecture, and
there should be dependencies between the internal objects (Mixer,
AudioEngine, etc) and their graphic user interfaces. This might not be
that hard, and I'd be willing to offer at least advice along the way.

It would be cool to eventually have a setup like the one for
Quasimodo, where gtk-quasimodo is just one of several interfaces to
the same engine.

Also, its not true that X's efficiency is a problem. The blind issue
is a perfectly good enough reason to want to do this - don't throw in
incorrect claims about X when you've got enough reason to stick with
the console already.

--p