[linux-audio-dev] mLAN news

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] mLAN news
From: Matthias Weiss (matthias.we_AT_gmx.at)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 12:16:00 EET

Hi all!

Here is a reply I got from Jun-ichi Fujimori, the mLAN project leader:
Dear Mr. Matthias Weiss,

thank you for your mail and interest in mLAN.

As a matter of fact, we proposed audio and music data transmission part
of mLAN specification as standard "A&M protocol". And still we are working
on A&M protocol for enhancement.

To get more infromation about mLAN including licensing and technology,
please visit our web site:
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/tech/1394mLAN/english/

Regarding developing mLAN for Linux, we are very happy to support such
project by providing specification and information about mLAN.
By the way, in the 1394 Trade Association web page, there is a link
http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/

If you explain the relation between your project and the IEEE 1394 for
Linux project we would appreciate.

With Best Regards,
Jun-ichi Fujimori.

I started reading in the kernel ieee1394 sources and the ALSA card drivers.
I got some basic ideas how that things work, still I'd like to have some
response from developers with ALSA driver experience.

I will contact Mr. Fujimori to clear the situation about license cost and
hardware support. I read something about 200,000 yen (~ 1,800 EUR or 1,600 USD
) for the time of the agreement and 100,000 yen ( ~900 EUR or 800 USD )every
year.

If we can find a way around that costs, I'd like to start developing A&M and
 mLAN protocol ALSA driver.

comments welcome.

gr. matthias