Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 16:46:21 EEST

>> i think you should propose new XML entities for the GUI spec that
>> would allow these to work, plus some text to suggest how the
>> host/plugin interaction would actually work. i think these would be an
>> excellent idea. and if you don't, i will :)
>
>It is possible to create new XML entities, but there is the down-side that
>then all hosts would need to implement them.

The upside is that no host exists that implements the XML spec at
all. So any additions to it at this time are effectively free of
consequences.

>I do agree XML is fine for many (simple) cases. And then there are the
>cases where you can just forget it. There is little point in trying to
>wrap all possible things behind an XML-layer.

Agreed. However, there may be common things that are not in the XML
spec, and it would be good to include them.

>So I am saying that the creation of strongly customized user interfaces is
>best left to the plugin programmer, completely unlimited by any XML-spec.

If you can suggest a way to do this (see my other message about this),
it would be great to hear. Unfortunately, the proliferation of
GUI toolkits doesn't make this easy.

--p