Re: [linux-audio-dev] S/PDIF on portables

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] S/PDIF on portables
From: Jon Yi (jonyi_AT_MIT.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 16:53:26 EEST

> >Tascam has a small USB mixer/controller unit, that has S/PDIF, called the
> >428. No linux, tho. Unless someone convinces them to write one, or release
> >the driver specs. I have one and works well. Has problems with AMD chips,
> >and VIA chipsets, tho.
>
> http://www.tascam.com/products/us428/

hi all,

i've never contributed to this list before, but i thought
i could write in with some other USB S/PDIF interfaces.

http://www.opcode.com/products/datport/
http://www.opcode.com/products/sonicport/
http://www.opcode.com/products/sonicport_optical/

the datport is digital only, whereas the sonicport also does analog.
because the opcode products use USB, there are some jitter issues:

http://www.sonicstudios.com/datport.htm

also, there's the roland ua-30 from http://www.edirol.com
(no link provided, because of their use of short-lived URL's).

i'm not sure about the linux support for the above devices,
but i would _assume_ that they just show up as any other
USB audio devices do. for example, i have worked with the
Telex P-500, H-531, M-560. in fact, they are all plugged in
at the same time on my desktop!

http://www.computeraudio.telex.com/products/index.html

jon