Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Mustajuuri -> LADSPA plugins.
From: Nick Bailey (n.bailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 19:07:47 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

> I have several concerns about this, largly cos I don't know much about how
> X works at the low level. Can the plugin find out what toollkit the host is
> using? And, assuming that the host is using, say GTK+, what happens when
> the plugin tries to open a GTK window? Will it just inherit the hosts
> connection to the server?

The X11 protocol is very low-level indeed; the difference between a "GTK
Window" and a "Qt Window" for example is all in the client-side (ie
application) libraries. The X server just draws the fonts/pixmaps etc etc
it's told.

> Is there anything to prevent the plugin from spawning a second process
> which has its own connection to the server, but is linked to the process
> via some sort of IPC? I'm guessing this would be frowned on though ;)

The Window Manager would be very unhappy about that 8-) Really, if you run
raw X, you don't even get frames, minimising to icons etc etc. If you have
KDE, try starting a session in "safe mode" and you'll see what it's like (just
a raw xterm, basket-weave background, and *nothing* else -- ctrl-alt-bspace to
exit)

> Lastly, LADSPA plugins creating thier own GUIs kind of puts a stop to host
> automation (I think), if the plugin receives the UI events directly then
> the host knows nothing about it, and I can't think of a transparent way of
> the plugin communicating the parameter changes to the host.
>
> - Steve

Hmmm.... yes, I could see that being very toolkit dependent (by "host" you
mean "client program", right?) How did the client invoke the plugin? Could
it pass it an event handler reference?

Nick/