Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin GUIs
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 22:52:35 EEST

Rick Burnett wrote:

> I think it should be pointed out that many authors do not use special
> 'routines' or 'rendering' for their icons. Out of the 5 applications
> that I have designed and written all the way to being marketed, only
> one had rendered images. I have to agree that it gets annoying using
> software written for one screen resolution and then trying to use it
> on a different resolution. Even if you develop a methodology for
> developers to use for creating a more 'scaling' GUI, it doesn't mean
> they will use it. I would say, before you go down that path to seeing
> how to implement it, first determine just how many people would want
> to use it. If there is very small demand for it, I know they are
> probably a ton of other things that need developing at this point that
> would be more beneficial to the LAD developers.

let me step into the discussion here...
IMVHO it is extremely important to have a scalable gui that allows
efficient usage of the screen. if there's one thing that calls for
acres of screen size, it's recording/mixing.

as to priority, you're probably right.
for the time being, we should just stick with different sets of
pixmaps for the most popular resolutions.

still, scalable widgets are the way to go, even at the cost of
losing chrome.
imagine i want to do a quick check of a mixdown of 32 tracks: eq and
fx is all set by now, so i don't care about the pots, but i want to
squeeze *all* faders, meters and chanel labels on one screen.
i'd like an option "scroll/squeeze" so i can force the widgets to be
scaled as small as i want (regardless of looks or usability) without
getting scrollbars.
of course this could also be implemented by offering many different
screen layouts (one for setting the monitor, one for mixdown, one
for tracking,...) while keeping the size of the controls constant,
but to me this seems rather more complicated.

just my...

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany