Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI round 2
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 01:01:20 EEST

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 03:33:17PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Obviously the GUI needs to be linked to the plugin in some way, but I
>
> why ? the GUI sends control messages to the host, and all it needs is
> a way to identify the plugin, not to communicate with it.

Maybe, but I still want to be able to have file requesters and non float
things going on (how this discussion startedin the first place ;), I
suppose there no reason he dsp part of the plugin can't listen for OSC
instructions too.

I rememer reading up on OSC a while back and liking it.

> >I was imagining that the plugin would only invoke the gui if/when the host
> >requested it, or mauybe the plugin should just broive the host with a
> >method or data required to open the custom interface.
>
> this brings up a good point. a plugin that was running under a
> console-only host and has a Qt plugin should probably be advised to
> not bother starting the GUI process. how best to do that ? do we have
> the host pro-actively initiate the GUI (allowing it to choose not to
> do so), or do we have the host tell the plugin that the run-time
> environment is <console|xwindows|something-else> ?

I prefer the host having to explicity request that the gui be opened,
seems cleaner somehow. I can imagine some users not ever wanting custom
GUI's.

- Steve